SF60 Biochar Super Compost (aka soil improver, activated biochar)
Ready to use, this natural, organic soil improver is made in the UK using our propriety composting process and humification agent. It contains high levels of colloidal humus and biochar plus plant nutrients and compost.
It will help all gardeners and allotment growers improve their soils and container growth mixes to the best they can be.
In our SF60 tests, we have seen an increase in plant and crop growth of 100% over the control soil. All plant growth testing is complex and it takes many test replications over a number of years before the average increase can be quoted. We believe most users can conservatively achieve a +20% increase.
How does SF60 work
The biochar/colloidal humus matrix acts as ‘sponge’ for water and essential nutrients – storing them ready for use. The ‘sponge’ matrix supports increased levels of soil microbes. The microbes (notably mycorrhizal fungi) can access the stored nutrients. They form symbiotic relationships with plant roots and supply nutrients to the roots. This mechanism leads to improved plant health and growth. (More detail via our SF60 FAQ blog post)
- Excellent water holding capacity, (X3 toX4 own weight, versus PAS100 compost X2).
- Excellent water retention (days versus hours for compost)
- Excellent re-wetting ability (re-absorbs water very quickly after partial drying)
- Contains both fast and slow-release macro-nutrients (NKP) supply
- Contains plant micro-nutrients (Ca, Mg, etc)
- Improves nutrient supply to plant roots (increased microbe/fungal roots associations that increase nutrient supply to roots (eg mycorrhizal fungi, AMF)
- Reduces nutrient leaching – colloidal humus has high CEC reducing leachate losses on irrigation
- Improves soil aggregation leading to improved tilth and aeration (essential oxygen flow to roots and microbes)
- Results are long-lasting - colloidal humus and biochar typically survive in the soil for over 100 years (note nutrients transferred and removed via crop need replenishing)
- Positive environmental impact: colloidal humus and biochar both sequester carbon and help offset carbon dioxide and hence reduce the impact of greenhouse gases (1Kg SF60 equates to 1.8 Kg CO2)
- 1 Kg (sample)
- 10 Kg sack
- 20 Kg sack
- Contact us to discuss bulk 1m3 bags
How to apply SF60
How much biochar should I apply to the soil?
|Apply||Approx. Volume Ratio|
The % volume ratio varies with depth of soil mix. For more detail on application rate calculations by area, volume and weight and tips on how to make your budget go further, please visit the application ratio blog. We also have a free Excel calculator if you need to work out accurate application ratios.
It is important to dig (or hoe) SF60 into the root zone - preferably to a depth of 5-10 cm.
SF60 can be stored in a cool dry place. Avoid direct sun and drying out
SoilFixer SF60 is used to improve your soil to the best it can be. This improvement in soil fertility water, nutrient management and tilth results in better plants, vegetables and crops - and all in a sustainable manner.
|How to use / Specification|
|How to use||Dig or hoe into soil at a depth of 5-10 cm|
|Pack size||5 Kg and 10 Kg Woven PP sacks Contact us to discuss pallet loads or 1m3 bulk dumpy bags|
|Particle size||0-8mm, 100% passes through 8mm mesh sieve.|
|Weight||5Kg pack and 10 Kg pack|